CREAT3D Handy 3D Printing Tips: How to update your Leapfrog Creatr HS firmware
Leapfrog's recent major update for the Leapfrog Creatr HS includes improved stand-alone operation, a new onboard bed levelling wizard and easier firmware updates in the future.
We've recently updated ours to benefit from the changes. Follow the steps below to update your Leapfrog Creatr HS - we've added a few of our findings and comments to make your process as straight-forward as possible!
These instructions must be followed in order and you must complete all steps before printing.
You will need:
- USB stick
- USB cable supplied with your printer - DO NOT start this process without this as you will not be able to use your printer after the firmware update
- Simplify3D or Materialise software
- Your extruder offset settings (see the small sticker on the underside of your printer. The commas are decimal places and these settings may be negative values)
A. Get ready
- Make sure you have your USB cable to hand. This has a USB-A connector (looks like a USB stick connector) at each end
- Download the Leapfrog Creatr HS stand-alone software and copy this onto your USB stick
- Download the latest firmware version 2.2 and copy this on to your USB stick
- Make yourself a cup of tea. There will be some waiting involved in the later stages
B. Install the Leapfrog Creatr HS stand-alone software
- Turn on your printer and then make sure your computer is not connected via USB cable
- Put your USB stick in the front of the printer
- Navigate to the USB menu on your printer and select the Creatr_1.4.2.jar file
- The screen will not change for about 30 seconds. You will then see a background system screen and the printer will reboot
- Leave the printer to restart. If it does not restart after 5 minutes, restart the printer manually
- Check the software has installed correctly by turning the printer dial and accessing the new Printer Info screen
C. Update the firmware to version 2.2
- Navigate to the printer USB stick menu and select the CreatrHS_Firmware_2.2.hex file
- The screen will show 'Updating PCB' for a while and then 'Update successful; restarting'
- If the printer has not restarted after 5 minutes, turn the power off for 30 seconds and then back on again
- Once the printer has restarted, check the firmware version on the Printer Info screen. It should be version 2.2
D. Set your extruder offset
- Connect your computer to the rear USB port on your Creatr HS using the USB cable. Do not connect to the front USB port
- On your printer display, select the 'Connect' function to give control to your computer
- Type 'M50' and your extruder offset settings into a text editor or MS Word, for example 'M50 X15.05 Y-0.98'
- Open Simplify 3D or Materialise
- Materialise users:
- Navigate to 'Configure Printer > Manual Control' in Materialise.
- Check your machine status is 'Idle' at the top of the window. If you cannot connect, try different 'Ports' e.g. COM7, then a different USB cable
- Copy and paste your M50 gcode line from step 3 into the 'Command' field and click 'Send'. You should see 'OK' in the reply field
- Type 'M500' into the 'Command' field and click 'Send'. You should see 'OK' in the reply field
- Simplify3D users:
- Navigate to 'Machine Control Panel > Communication' in Simplify3D
- Check the Baud Rate is 115200 and the top left button in the 'Initialization' section has a green logo and says 'Disconnect'. If you cannot connect, choose a different USB port from the 'Port' drop down box, then try a different USB cable
- Copy and paste your M50 gcode line from Step 3 (Section D) into the field at the bottom of the tab and click 'Send'
- Your communication window should read something similar to 'SENT: M50 X15.05 Y-0.98. RECEIVED: X: 15.05 Y: -0.98. RECEIVED ok'. There may be other lines which are related to temperature readings taken by the printer every few seconds
- Type 'M500' into the field at the bottom of the tab and click 'Send'
- Your communication window should read something similar to 'SENT: M500. RECEIVED: echo:Settings Stored'
- Press the button on your printer to exit 'Computer Connect' mode
- Turn off your 3D printer, disconnect the USB cable, wait 30 seconds and restart
- Once restarted, check the extruder offset X and Y settings on the righthand side of Printer Info screen. If they are still set to the 'X15.00 Y0.00' default values, please repeat steps 5 or 6 again
Your Leapfrog Creatr HS is now up to date.
You will now see new options on your printer display. We highly recommend you now 'Home' your printer to ensure the print carriage and bed are moving properly and use the 'Bed Calibration' to level your print bed prior to printing a short test piece.
Back to News >